Holiday Baking Round-Up

Uncategorized

{A Very Giant Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup}

Can I be honest with you? I haven’t been invited to many holiday parties this year. Maybe one. Or two. Three max. And it’s not because I don’t have any friends because I have those! I swear! My friends are kind of busy this year. Everyone’s working or going out of town or working. No one has time to host parties.

I feel a little bit like a loser without a busy holiday party season, but a big part of me is relieved. I imagine you’re different than me. I imagine you have tons of friends, a bustling social life full of fun holiday get-togethers and obligatory shindigs. Me? Nada. But that doesn’t mean I’m not baking or eating or having fun. Oh no, I’m doing all of those aplenty.

Whether you have parties to go to or you wanna sit on your couch watching Love Actually whilst eating cookies, I figured I’d dig into the archives and bring out some of my all-time holiday favorites.

Let’s start with the specimen at the top of this page, shall we? It’s A Very Giant Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. Yes, you heard correctly. It’s giant. There’s peanut butter and chocolate involved.

I’ve been making Alfajores ever since I was a kid. My aunt (who has owned a bakery there for 50 years) would visit us from Peru and make all sorts of crazy Peruvian desserts. Her Alfajores were always my favorite and this recipe is an adaption from a family classic. I love ’em a lot.

Chocolate Buttermilk Biscuits. I love these things. My only recommendation is eating them warm straight out of the oven. I’ve decided that biscuits always should be eaten warm. And in restaurants they should be baked to order.

I totally have a biscuit attitude, can you tell?

Remember when Hostess went out of business? Well, you can make some Homemade Ding Dongs, if you like.

Last year I baked these with my mama. Like the rest of America, she grew up eating these things.

She’d save and collect her change and walk to the neighborhood corner store and buy ding dongs that came in their very famous foil wrappers. She said these tasted just like the original, but better.

Fun fact: I first had Pig Candy on my first date with my now boyfriend. We went to Lou’s, a wine bar in Hollywood, which is now closed (sad!), and drank wine and ate pig candy.

When he ordered Pig Candy off the menu, my face turned into that emoji where the smiley face has hearts in his eyes. I looked exactly like that!

The combination of salty and sweet will never ever get old. Ever. These Salty Vanilla Bean Sugar Cookies are no exception. They’re crumbly and tender and rolled in the perfect ratio of sugar and salt. I totally adore them.

(I just said adore. Who am I?)

Whenever I say “chocolate,” I say it in Spanish so it’s, “choco-la-tΓ©!”

Say it with me! Or don’t.

These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are fun.

They’re labor-intensive but fun, nonetheless. They have a ganache filling, a toasted marshmallow meringue topping and for s’s and giggles I threw a crushed up candy cane on top. It’s festive, man!

• Reply Katie @ Blonde Ambition December 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Girl you have totally earned the ability to have biscuit attitude!

That giant Reeses cup makes me ooh and ahh EVERY time!

• Reply Leah December 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Um, yes to sitting on the couch eating cookies and watching Love Actually! And yes to all of those things but specifically the giant peanut butter cup and salty vanilla bean sugar cookies! Adore times two.

• Reply kelly December 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Great collection of recipes!

• Reply Liza in Ann Arbor December 14, 2012 at 11:53 am

I love this post. I wanna make it all!

• Reply Becky December 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

how long will Pig Candy keep? and does it need to be stored in the fridge? I’m assuming yes, but bacon is pretty tough!

• Reply Adrianna December 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

I would say up to 3 days. And yes, definitely keep in the refrigerator.

• Reply Kathie December 14, 2012 at 11:00 am

I will please a lot of people this Christmas Eve.

• Reply Lindsey December 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

hahaha

• Reply Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes December 14, 2012 at 10:26 am

What a roundup! It make me hungry!

• Reply Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking December 14, 2012 at 9:56 am

Great dessert ideas!!! I agree with you about the biscuits. There is this place I love called the chicken shack, sounds classy, right? But they fry and bake all their biscuits to order, and it is wonderful!!!

• Reply Jayne December 14, 2012 at 9:48 am

Ditto about biscuit attitude. That should be the way! Made to order, served warm.

And I say chocolate pretty much the same way: choc-o-latt. Without your Spanish accent at the end though. And i mostly say it in my head.

• Reply Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen December 14, 2012 at 8:32 am

Woah! Everything looks delicious! That giant peanut butter cup has been on my list for a while…

I wish I had more parties this year so I’d have an excuse to make more stuff! It’s too hard to do tons of baking when it’s just going to feed 2!

• Reply Iris December 14, 2012 at 7:50 am

I love the idea of a giant Reese’s peanut butter cup, but will never make it because there is no way in hell I won’t eat the entire thing in one sitting πŸ˜›

• Reply cindy December 14, 2012 at 6:25 am

biscuit attitude is the best kind of attitude!

PS, my brother in law says bacon-candy is too weird and I told him he doesn’t know anything about anything!

• Reply Catherine December 14, 2012 at 10:40 am

do you have recipe for bacon candy

• Reply Adrianna December 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

The bacon candy recipe is hyperlinked in this post. The word “Pig Candy” is highlighted orange. Click on that and it’ll take you to the recipe! πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna December 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

More like: you know everything ’bout everything.

• Reply this is lemonade December 14, 2012 at 5:54 am

Wow those mini alfajores look amazing. I love shortbread so I think I would love these. Clicked through and pinned for sometime during the holiday maybe? πŸ™‚

I love quiet Christmases. I guess it’s always cold so it’s nice to get cosy somewhere familiar for me. I’m a homebody at heart, and I love to chill with close family and friends. Christmas parties for me are just tiring. I love crowding around a board game or Jenga and just doing stuff like cooking/baking together. I always admire people who have the energy to go out everyday of the holiday and be the life of the party, when I grab every chance to lounge around πŸ˜›

• Reply this is lemonade December 14, 2012 at 5:55 am

Oh and I forgot to ooh and aah at the exquisite toasted marshmallow meringue topping on those hot chocolate cupcakes. Oh OK I’m going to pin those too… but I don’t promise to make them πŸ˜‰

• Reply Wanda @ My Sweet Zepol December 14, 2012 at 4:57 am

There is not one dish in your round up that I don’t like, even though there’s not much time, but I’ll try to make them at least once before the year ends! Thank you for the recipes and your lovely post!

• Reply Margherita December 14, 2012 at 12:49 am

Biscuits attitude: I loooove that!

As to holiday parties I do like them, but only to those with my closest friends around. I don’t really care for the others…

• 1 2