Grilled Breakfast Pizza

Breakfast, Pizza

A few things I will gladly admit I’m not good at:

Cutting my own bangs. It’s true. I tried it a few days ago because I was too lazy to drive 5 minutes to my hairdresser for a trim….aaaand now I’m grateful bobbi pins were invented. Not good at cutting bangs/fringe. Check.

I’m not good at moving furniture, lifting heavy boxes, using a drill, etc. Last week I tried to hang curtains and broke out in a sweat which lead to lots of cursing. I’m convinced that this is why boys were invented.

Lastly (because I’m just about perfect at everything else), grilling stuff. There are so many variables with a charcoal grill. Where is the hottest part of the grill? When are the coals hot enough? Why is there so much stupid smoke? Dangit, there isn’t a thermometer on the cover…blah blah blah. So basically what I’m saying is that this Grilled Breakfast Pizza stressed me out. But I did it. And it was totally worth it. And since I lived to tell about it, I can tell you exactly what you’re not supposed to do and everything you should do so you end up with an amazing pizza. Ready? Annnnd let’s begin….

Alright grilling pizza goes super fast, so you wanna get all your toppings prepped and ready to go. The trick with grilling pizza is you want to put the toppings on when the dough is on the grill.

So you’re gonna start with getting your grill nice and hot. If you’re using a smallish grill, make sure to put all the coals to one side of the grill so you have an area that isn’t super hot. You’ll need this later.

Then you’re gonna put your dough on the hottest part of the grill. Now watch it carefully. Check it about every 30 seconds, making sure it doesn’t burn. You want the grill marks, but you don’t want it charred.

You’re going to then flip it and move it to the a place on the grill that doesn’t have a direct flame. Then you’re going to crack the eggs onto the dough. When I cracked the eggs on the pizza they wouldn’t stay put, and almost slide off the dough into the grill. I was one egg dropping away from a grilling meltdown. But they didn’t and they stayed. So if this happens to you, don’t fret–it’ll allll work out.

Place the grill’s lid on for 2-3 minutes. When the eggs look like they’re just about set, add the cheese, bacon and salt and pepper. Cover for another 1-2 minutes or just until cheese is melted. Move promptly from the grill and then sprinkle with the parsley, chives and scallions. Voila. You just made an awesome Grilled Breakfast Pizza. This means you’re a genius. The end.

Grilled Breakfast Pizza

Recipe adapted from The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook

Makes 1 pizza

Now, I know the title of this recipe has the word “breakfast” in it, but please, don’t let that stop you from making this for lunch and/or dinner. This pizza is really an anytime meal. Also, you may think I’m a gigantic genius, but I actually learned how to grill pizza from this post over at The Kitchn. Hop on over for step-by-step pictures. I followed the instructions loosely, catering it to this recipe since it dealt with needing to cook the eggs longer.

3 bacon strips

12 ounce pizza dough (This is my go-to recipe)

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

1 cups grated mozzarella (low moisture* this is important!)

3 eggs

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepoer

1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley

1 tablespoon minced chives

1 whole scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced

1 shallot, minced (I didn’t have a shallot on hand so I skipped it)

Generously dust the surface of your kitchen counter with flour and roll pizza dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Drizzle both sides of dough with olive oil and set aside on a plate. Gather all the toppings and dough and move outside next to the grill.

Once your grill is nice and hot, place the pizza dough on the hottest part of the grill, making sure to check it every 30 seconds or so to ensure proper cooking. Once grill marks appear, flip it and move the dough to a place on the grill that does not have direct heat. Crack the three eggs onto the dough and cover for 2-3 minutes. Once the eggs are just about set, sprinkle the cheese, bacon and salt and pepper. Cover for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Move promptly to a plate and sprinkle with parsley, chives and parsley.

*If you’re not in the mood to spark up the grill, then here’s the way to cook it in the oven. My advice is to get yourself a “pizza stone” from Loews or Home Depot. Simply pre-heat your oven to 450˙F, roll out the dough, crack the eggs on top, sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, then add the pieces of bacon and salt and pepper. Cook in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes, checking on it after 5 minutes and rotating it if necessary. When the crust is golden, the cheese is melted and the eggs yolks are cooked to medium, remove from the oven.

• Reply mtaing July 10, 2010 at 3:24 pm

“I’m convinced that this is why boys were invented” haha! Adrianna, sweating is actually good for you… you should give it a whirl sometime.

• Reply Sarah @ Mum in Bloom July 10, 2010 at 6:34 am

Came over from Honey & Jam and I’m so glad I found your beautiful blog. So much beauty and deliciousness here 🙂 I’m now a follower.

• Reply Adrianna July 9, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Farah–Your dessert looks amazing!

Tyla–So glad you found us!

Nicole–I, too, butchered my Barbie’s hair. I loved Sinead O’Connor when I was eight and decided my Barbie should too. It was a bad look.

Katie–You can skip the eggs if he doesn’t like ’em. Just add other cool stuff!

• Reply katie@Cozydelicious July 9, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’m not a griller either. I love the grill, but I also love when my husband handles that part of things! This pizza looks lovely, but given that my husband is not a fan of eggs, I’m going to have to beg him to grill this up for me!

• Reply Katrina July 9, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I’ve SEEN breakfast pizza, but have still never tried it. I must change this. Thanks!

• Reply Nicole July 9, 2010 at 9:55 am

I like to think I’m pretty good with the grill, but I’m scared of grilling pizza. We’re trying it out tonight, ack! I love the breakfast version, wow, yum! I am so scarred by a bangs incident from middle school that I haven’t had them since. Not even the long side swept bang I’ve wanted for years now. I once trimmed my Barbie’s long hair and she ended up with a permanent side pony tail, luckily the look was in at the time.

• Reply Kiran July 9, 2010 at 9:37 am

First timer here (from ThePioneerWoman.com). Love this grilled breakfast pizza recipe. I have some fresh pizza dough left over in the fridge. What a great way to spruce up a weekend breakie! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Tyla July 9, 2010 at 9:00 am

WAIT! I have been to your site before because last time I commented that, like you, I JUST made kale chips and posted about that as well. Great minds think alike, huh?

• Reply Tyla July 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

I clicked over to your site from a comment you left on The Sprouted Kitchen and was thrilled to see this post! I JUST made the same pizza, but I don’t have a grill and never had any idea grilling pizza was even possible(!) so I did it my oven (http://bit.ly/cMVP2o). Thanks for the fun idea though, glad I stumbled across your site!

• Reply tracey July 9, 2010 at 7:50 am

Love love love! I also think it would be delicious to make individual ones using Pitas, to serve with brunch! Breakfast veggie omelet Pizza…….hmmm yes please!

dinner dresses decor and dessert

• Reply Naomi July 9, 2010 at 6:25 am

I too cannot cut my bangs. The last time I attempted it was when I was five or six years old. I kept cutting and cutting trying to get them even until they were very very short. I finally asked my mom to even them out when my bangs fell an inch or two above my eyebrows. That was an awkward look.

This pizza looks great though, and as we have our friend’s grill for the summer I can totally make it!

• Reply Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 9, 2010 at 6:17 am

That pizza sounds amazing– I never imagine sunny side up eggs on pizza, but sure looks good!! 🙂

• Reply Joanne July 9, 2010 at 5:58 am

Cutting my bangs makes me way too anxious. I’ve thought about doing it…gave myself a panic attack..and then walked over to my hairdressers. So know that you’re not alone!

I’m also scared of grilling. Your pizza turned out fabulously though!

• Reply Farah July 9, 2010 at 4:45 am

I’ve never seen anything like this, looks incredible!

What do you think of my Brazil nut and pear crepe creation?

• Reply Ashley July 9, 2010 at 4:31 am

YUM. That looks soooo good this morning!