Glitter Nails, Three Ways

DIY

Holiday season means a few things: parties, presents, stress..and glitter. Yes, glitter. I’m pretty sure by now you know I love nail polish, and I love glitter nail polish even more. Soooo, I figured I’d show you a few ways to make your nails dazzle (a little more) this holiday season. Here are my three favorite ways:

Glitter Top Coat

Supplies: Deborah Lippman’s Boom Boom Pow.

Step 1: I painted a base coat and two coats of nail polish.

Step 2: And then one top coat of glitter nail polish.

It’s really that easy-peasy! Sometimes I like to lay on two coats of glitter nail polish if I’m going for crazy sparkly.

Glitter French:

Supplies: OPI’s Crown Me Already, Orly White Tip Guides and plain ol’ nail polish remover.

Step 1: I securely placed the white tip guides on my nails. I always do a bit under the white part of my nail since mine is a little small.

Step 2: One coat of glitter nail polish on the tips only.

Step 3: One more coat.

Step 4: And then I removed the stickies. They never come off perfect for me. Ever. So I took an old (firm) eyeshadow brush, dipped it in nail polish remover and cleaned up the french part just a tad.

Step 5: I then painted one coat of Mademoiselle just on the nail bed. With this color, if you get it on the glitter part, no big deal–it’s pretty translucent.

If you want to have the nail bed another color (which I often do), simply paint the entire nail the color of your liking, let it dry completely, add the stickies, and then paint the tips glitter.

Glitter Gradient:

Supplies:
OPI’s Drip Dry (optional), Essie’s School of Hard Rocks, OPI’s Crown Me Already

Step 1: I painted two coats of polish

Step 2: And then, starting just above where the nail polish meets the cuticle, I applied one very thin coat of glitter nail polish.

Step 3: I applied a second thin coat about 1/2 inch from where I started the last one. If you have super thin glitter nail polish, you might have to do up to four thin coats, working your way up.

Step 4: Taking my nail polish, I dabbed the tips of my nails with a thickish coat of glitter nail polish, so none of the green color comes through.

Three super easy ways to have your nails all glitterfied this holiday season. YAY!

P.S. Wanna make French Onion Soup while painting your nails. Of course you do! I did it last year here.

• Reply Lisa December 10, 2011 at 3:47 am

All of these options are so fun. Pinterest is just full of nail tutorials. PINNING THIS!

• Reply Tina P December 10, 2011 at 3:47 am

OMG! Your nails are sooo amazing. I choose the gradient. πŸ™‚

• Reply Lauren @ FoodIsTherapy December 10, 2011 at 1:09 am

I’m always so envious of your nails – they’re always so beautiful and fun! I can’t seem to keep polish on mine…ever.

• Reply Maura December 10, 2011 at 1:09 am

Love these! Just found this on Pinterest yesterday, thought you might like it! πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna December 10, 2011 at 3:45 am

Oh whoa. I looooove that!

• Reply dragon fruit December 10, 2011 at 12:50 am

I love this post! and I am OBSESSED with doing my nails, manicures basically take up my entire twitter. haha. thanks for the tutorials πŸ™‚

• Reply Kayla @ Sheriff of the Kitchen December 10, 2011 at 12:01 am

As a fellow nail addict, I love these ultra cute nails! I have my eyes on the french glitter tips lets see if I can make them look as good as yours!

• Reply nicole {sweet peony} December 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm

you are too cool. i hate having long nails so mine never look pretty. but i’m sure lots & lots of glitter will fix that πŸ™‚ either that or make me look like a toddler that goes behind the couch while mommy is on the phone doing things i shouldn’t be doing.

• Reply Stacey! December 9, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Yay! Thanks so much! I’ve had OPI’s You Don’t Know Jacques on for about 3 weeks straight, but I’ve been dying for some glitter action! My biggest problem is that I am never patient enough to let it dry all the way, and always manage to mess it all up. I definitely need to look into some quick drying action.

• Reply Adrianna December 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I loooove that color. The drops help a whole lot.

• Reply Tina December 9, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I have to try the gradient glitter nails, they look frosty & fabulous!
    Also, I swear by Sally Hanson quick dry top coat (it comes in an orange bottle)–not only does it make your nails dry to the touch in seconds, but it also evens out any mistakes. Brilliant stuff!

• Reply Amanda (onceuponarecipe) December 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Cool! I love these ideas! I am SO glad that I’m a girl. πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna December 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm

ME TOO! Way more fun.

• Reply Kasey December 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Your nails are so pretty! Can I come over for a mani? πŸ˜‰

• Reply Adrianna December 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Yes! Duh.

• Reply Sarah - Dodeline Design December 9, 2011 at 6:13 pm

So fun! I’m so hard on my nails I never paint them. Maybe I’ll try this for the special season though!

• Reply Jen of My Tiny Oven December 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I LOVE the sparkly french tip! I want to do that for Christmas!! Thanks for the pointers!!

• Reply carly {carlyklock} December 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

i can’t wait to keep showing you my awesome nails! thanks for sharing, dear.

• Reply Lori @ RecipeGirl December 9, 2011 at 4:39 pm

CUTE! Love this glittery girl post πŸ™‚