Gingerbread Biscotti

Breakfast, Chocolate, Desserts

Biscotti NEVER excites me. Umm…well then why am I posting this you ask…

Well because this biscotti straight won me over. And it wasn’t immediate–it took a few days. The first time I made this biscotti I wasn’t that huge of a fan. In fact, I actually made this, took pictures, lamented on whether or not to post and then decided not to.

Buuuut then a few nights later (as in four days later) I ended up eating biscotti for dinner. (Totally normal.) And then something magical happened: I fell in love with dang biscotti. The cookie was tender and moist, and not the hard-as-a-rock-biscotti that I usually avoid at random coffee shops. It was crazy surprising!

Oh! I almost forgot! This biscotti kinda tastes like Christmas. In a totally good way. Not in a too early to think about way, but in a great in anticipation way.

And I mean, what other cookie can you leave out on the counter and eat four days later to amazing texture and flavor? Biscotti. That’s the answer.

Oh and um if you make this you MUST dunk it in your coffee. It’s just a must. And with the chocolate?! Oh myyy. Please promise that you’ll do this!

Gingerbread Biscotti

Recipe from Allrecipes

Print this snazzy recipe!

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup white sugar

3 eggs

1/4 cup molasses

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger

3/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1/2 tablespoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, mix together oil, sugar, eggs, and molasses. In another bowl, combine flours, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg; mix into egg mixture to form a stiff dough.

Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a roll the length of the cookie. Place rolls on cookie sheet, and pat down to flatten the dough to 1/2 inch thickness.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool.

When cool enough to touch, cut into 1/2 inch thick diagonal slices. Place sliced biscotti on cookie sheet, and bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until toasted and crispy.

• Reply Joan November 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Got coffee sticks for sale here too, ok. Nothing special. It’s I guess nice having chocolate when you’re UN-WRAPPING PRESENTS! New Years Eve! Nothing Sound of Music couldn’t cure when you’re hungry though! And I gotta big huge coffee stain on my jean shorts now. THanks for NOTHING!

• Reply Lora November 15, 2010 at 6:03 pm

What a great idea! They look wonderful. I love gingerbread.

• Reply Blair Destro November 15, 2010 at 9:32 am

Making them now, since I have all the ingredients in the pantry, and our fresh chicken eggs, a great way to use three of them!
    Thanks for posting!

• Reply Laura Louise November 13, 2010 at 11:48 am

Looks amazing!! I can’t wait to make this with my mom when I go home for Thanksgiving πŸ™‚

• Reply sterling style November 13, 2010 at 7:53 am

These look perfect for a cold morning like today with a cup of coffee! Yum!

• Reply laura @ alittlebarefoot November 12, 2010 at 4:52 pm

i’ve been on a big gingerbread kick lately – will definitely have to try these!

• Reply Nadette@Eat, Read, Rant! November 12, 2010 at 11:48 am

hmm, maybe I’ll have to make these in the near future. But just the though of ginger cookies has me craving sweetzels ginger snaps (the best ginger snaps EVER).

• Reply Tina November 12, 2010 at 10:46 am

U had me at hello when I saw gingerbread! Dude this can be such a great holiday gift ?! Ohhh and how delish would it be with pumpkin latte?!! I’m so making this for my holidays πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna November 13, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Umm..it’d be amazing. Good plan.

• Reply Joanne November 12, 2010 at 9:36 am

I was never excited about biscotti until I made them last year. And then love kind of hit. I think it’s the letting them wait a few days part. LIke red wine. I think they get better with age. These sound fantastic!

• Reply Molly November 12, 2010 at 9:08 am

I can’t wait to try this. I love biscotti but have never made it. Gingerbread and chocolate? Yummy!

• Reply Katrina November 12, 2010 at 8:35 am

Delicious! I’ve never made biscotti before!!

• Reply DessertForTwo November 12, 2010 at 6:38 am

Genius! I can’t wait to try this! I think I’ll dip them in white chocolate πŸ™‚

• Reply Rachel November 12, 2010 at 5:48 am

I tried my hand at making homemade biscotti for the first time last year, and I loved it! I was with you…I thought they would be hard, but they were surprisingly soft. Soooo good in the coffee, too! I’m bookmarking this recipe for later. πŸ˜‰

• Reply heather November 12, 2010 at 5:28 am

One of my favorite cookies to bake and eat. If you want a softer cookie the first day, try making ‘unscotti’ by only baking once (maybe go a little more than 25 minutes if you want the outside more crunchy). Slightly crisp on the edges, moist and chewy on the inside. Still perfect for dunking and dipping in chocolate!

Cheers and glad you’re on board with biscotti now,

*Heather*

• Reply Mika November 12, 2010 at 4:00 am

Oh my gosh! I’m so glad you went ahead and posted this. It’s beautiful and just right for the holiday season! Thanks!!

• 1 2