Egg-in-a-Hole Grilled Cheese

Breakfast, Dinner, Snacks

Sometimes I’m attracted to food because of its motion. Let me explain.

I love pulling a slice of pizza from the pie and seeing all the cheese strings flail in the air; only to then sword the cheese with my finger, breaking it off for good. That’s rad.

I love imagining (and watching) a kernel of popcorn exploding and transforming into a buttery, movie snack. Popcorn is the butterfly of the food world. Think about it.

I like when I pour a beer and flirt with the idea of it overflowing…and then it does. I always give a bratty smirk when that happens.

I like watching the little craters sporadically show up on the surface of a pancake.

I really dig bubbling, simmering tomato sauce. Lots of things simmer…tomato sauce, hands down, is the prettiest.

And then there’s the stream of a bright yellow yolk that gently flows out of a fried egg.

Food motion makes me hungry. Wait, does this mean I wanna eat motion? Is food motion even a thing?

Moving on…

This sandwich has two motions going on: a runny yolk and oozing cheese.

Pause…can we just take a moment and all agree that Egg-in-a-Hole is the cutest dish ever brained up.

“Yo, egg-in-a-hole, who brained you up?!”

Oh, you’re a piece of food and can’t talk back…cool.

Moving on…again…

I added a little prosciutto for some heft. I wanted dinner.

If you don’t have any or are trying to go veggie, leave it out. It’s totally delicious without it.

And please…grate yo’ cheese. It melts faster, which is important in this case.

Now, go make this for breakfast, lunch or dinner…and eat some food motion. It’s the right thing to do.

Egg-In-A-Hole Grilled Cheese

0 from 0 votes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 1
Egg-In-A-Hole Grilled Cheese is the perfect after-school snack. A grilled cheese filled with gooey cheese and a hole cut in the center and an egg cooked in the center. It's the best of both worlds.

Ingredients

• 2 slices bread of choice , I used white; I think 7-grain would be lovely
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Kosher salt & Black Pepper
  • 3 slices prosciutto

Directions

• Using a biscuit or cookie cutter, cut a 2-inch hole from the center of both slices of bread. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. When it's melted, add the two slices of bread. Let the bread lightly toast for a minute, or until lightly golden brown, and then flip the two slices over. Dab the remaining butter in the middle of the bread circles. We want to ensure the egg doesn't stick.
  • Crack the eggs into the holes and season with salt and pepper. If you're using prosciutto, chill with the salt. Just add a little.
  • Cover the pan for a minute, just until the egg whites are sorta set. Next, add the grated cheese to one half and cover for another minute, or until the cheese is practically melted.
  • Using a spatula, gently top the cheese slice with the egg slice. Cook for one more minute, or until the cheese is melted.
CourseAppetizer, Snack
CuisineAmerican
Keywordeggs, grilled cheese, put an egg on it
Did you make this Recipe? Tag me Today!Tag @acozykitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #acozykitchen

Recipe Rating

• Reply Jacki April 15, 2014 at 12:48 am

Thanks for sharing yur thoughts on Breakfast. Regards

• Reply haris April 13, 2014 at 4:32 am

awesome recipe just wanted to spice up my dinner and i got a amazing result ,thanks for the recipe

• Reply Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This looks amazing!!

• Reply Lisa @ The Cooking Bride September 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Oh, my gosh. I have made the egg-in-a-hole sandwiches plenty of times (we call them One-Eyed Jacks), but NEVER like this! It looks fantastic! Totally inspired to try this.

• Reply Back in the Day September 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Without the cheese, this is a good way to get kids to eat egg. We always called it a Bird’s Nest Egg” – thus the egg in the center…

• Reply Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING May 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

Your recipe was chosen by a blogger and remade for a challenge this week and her recipe WON! Congrats! Come read all about it here: http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2012/05/ultimate-crazy-cooking-challenge-recipe.html

• Reply Joan Hayes@chocolate and more May 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Just wanted you to know this sandwich is so good I chose it for the Crazy Cooking Challenge! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Beth February 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

you cannot be serious!!!!!!! This looks sooooooooooooooooooo good!!!

• Reply M December 20, 2011 at 3:07 am

Awesome, awesome recipe!!!! Planning to make this for my boyfriend soon. What’s a good alternative to the cheddar cheese? Or is it best not to use any substitute cheese? πŸ™‚ Thanks!

• Reply Adrianna December 20, 2011 at 3:32 am

Hi M. I think it tastes awesome with cheddar, but f you wanted to substitute, I’d go with a cheese that melts well…like fontina, gruyere, jack or swiss. πŸ™‚

• Reply Greenderella October 23, 2011 at 7:37 am

I made this yesterday with only egg and cheese and it was delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe πŸ™‚

• Reply simone October 18, 2011 at 9:22 pm

We featured this awesome sandwich in our Food Trend article on our blog! Would love to feature your recipes on our site as well. Just contact us if you are interested in more info. http://is.gd/RFiCrB

• Reply Bob October 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

They’re called “Holy eggs” just so you know

• Reply Nirggis October 10, 2011 at 8:45 am

WOW!!!
    I want this ASAP!!!

makes me mouth water!!!

• Reply Noelle (@singerinkitchen) September 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

My heart just stopped. I want this ASAP! YUM! I am so glad I found your blog thanks to Jessica at How Sweet! πŸ˜€

• Reply Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 28, 2011 at 1:17 am

Oh my god! This looks amazing. Why have I never thought to make this when I’ve made egg in a hole?!

I bet this is also good with a slice of fresh avocado πŸ™‚

• 1 2 3 4 5