Dijon Brussels Sprout Grilled Cheese

Dinner, Sandwiches, Snacks

Dijon Brussels Sprout Grilled Cheese // www.acozykitchen.com

A life full of grilled cheeses is a good life. If you can enjoy a grilled cheese and some tomato soup, I’m pretty sure it means you know how to chillax. I’m not gonna lie, this holiday season has beat me up. Being sick, alongside too much stuff to do, too many impending deadlines, too many social obligations and too many emails about sales ending soon, has beaten me up. It has all made me crave the week between Christmas and New Years. That week is my favorite week of the entire year; it’s the one week when the emails stop completely, and the thing we’re all supposed to be doing is nothing at all. No guilt about not working.

I recently read an article about guilt and it hit me to the core a bit. I think when you work for yourself, nothing is ever done; you could always be doing more work. This article talks about actually scheduling time in the day to do nothing—it seems strange, counterintuitive and honestly, kind of depressing. Have you tried this?

BRUSSELS

Dijon Brussels Sprout Grilled Cheese // www.acozykitchen.com

Perhaps what we should be doing is making more grilled cheeses and then eating it without our phones nearby, so we can just relearn how to sit and eat. And be. Sit, eat and be. I’m so guilty of eating dinner by myself and just scrolling through Instagram as a way to pass the time. It’s like I can’t sit and eat a dang cheesy sandwich without also being entertained in another capacity. I’m a monster! We’re all phone monsters!

This all reminds me what Louis C.K. said a few months ago, and it sadly couldn’t be more true. Connectivity has turned us all into freaks.

I’m going to try my hardest to unplug that week between Christmas and New Year’s. I’m probably going to have some posts scheduled, but I can tell you there’s gonna be lots of hikes outside, braised meals in the oven and cocktails. And hella cocktails. Excited.

In the meantime, if you’re searching for a relaxing dinner for one (or two or three – this recipe is easily expandable), look no further. This dinner is perfect for the have-no-time-category.

I have a thing for dijon-spiked Brussels sprouts. Something about their crunch, along with the bright flavor of mustard I just love. I used some gooey brie for this recipe, but I bet comté, gruyére or even smoked gouda would be amazing. I like my bread seeded because I like seeds. And I dipped in good-quality store-bought tomato soup. If you’re looking for a homemade tomato soup, this one is my favorite.

brusselsproutssandwich

Dijon Brussels Sprout Grilled Cheese

0 from 0 votes
Serving Size: 1 sandwich

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 shallot, minced
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 6-7 Brussels sprouts, shaved with a mandolin (or sliced thinly using a knife)
  • Sea salt
  • 2 slices bread of choice
  • Brie cheese

Directions

• In medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the dijon mustard, minced shallot, pinch of freshly ground pepper and shaved Brussels sprouts; toss the mixture together and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Salt to taste (my Dijon mustard was very salty so I added only a teeny pinch). Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
  • Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter on both pieces of bread. Flip the slices over (the buttered sides are the ones that are gonna hit the pan) and liberally add brie to one piece of bread. Top with the Brussels sprouts mixture and the other piece of bread. Carefully transfer to the skillet and cook on low until the bread is toasty and golden brown on both sides and cheese is gooey and melty, about 10 minutes.
Did you make this Recipe? Tag me Today!Tag @acozykitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #acozykitchen

Recipe Rating

• Reply Grace @ Earthy Feast December 16, 2013 at 11:49 am

Oh yes! Those tender little leaves held together with melty cheese. I am so doing this! Also scheduling plenty of outdoor time (without my phone) over the holiday! 🙂

• Reply sandra December 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

what a great idea – Brussels sprouts in grilled cheese!

• Reply Emily@ TotesDelishy December 16, 2013 at 11:03 am

I feel guilty about eating too much cheese, but if I were to eat cheese with vegetables on top… Guilt free! Love it!

• Reply angela December 16, 2013 at 9:27 am

Oh, man, this looks GOOOOD! Genius. And this week is the week to huddle up and make some sweet rest! 🙂

• Reply Abby @ The Frosted Vegan December 16, 2013 at 9:15 am

Totes on board with you for this, let’s do it!

• Reply Toby @ brag & butter December 16, 2013 at 9:14 am

Damn, what a treat. I am immersed in a plate of mashed potatoes w/ loads of Dill and an Avocado right now. Stress calls for RICHness – DEFINITELY making this grilled cheese tomorrow (added bonus: husband HATES brussels sprouts, so all for myself – muaha!)

• Reply dishing up the dirt December 16, 2013 at 9:03 am

It totally seems strange to schedule in a time to relax. But if you don’t then you will run yourself down completely.

Time for some comforting grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. These dijon brussels sound like the perfect addition to this sandwich. I think an ice cold beer would be nice to wash this down with 🙂

• Reply Shikha @ Shikha la mode December 16, 2013 at 8:24 am

I never thought to put brussels sprouts in grilled cheese – great idea!

• Reply Heather @ The Owl with the Goblet December 16, 2013 at 7:11 am

What?? I’m sold. This looks divine!

• Reply Katrina @ WVS December 16, 2013 at 6:57 am

I want this forever and for always. LOVE!

• Reply Averie @ Averie Cooks December 16, 2013 at 5:59 am

I LOVE brussles sprouts and eat them with just about everything from cranberry sauce to nutritional yeast but never as….a grilled cheese! Genius! pinned 🙂

And everything you said about pressures, relaxing, etc..amen. I need to do all of that jazz 🙂

• Reply Elisa @ Insalata di Sillabe December 16, 2013 at 3:59 am

You’re completely right! We should totally relearn how to relax and have some quality time with our loved ones without phones or any other electronic stuff around!
    Anyway…Grilled cheese is one of my favorite food ever and your sandwich looks sooo good!

xo, Elisa

• Reply Emily @ Life on Food December 16, 2013 at 3:33 am

I am so wanting one of these right now even though it is only 6am. Yum yum!

• Reply Belinda@themoonblushbaker December 16, 2013 at 2:25 am

When you ever work for yourself; your ambition makes sure you are constantly on your toes. It shows how much you care but you do need a Little R&R to continue doing so!

Grilled cheese for me is reserved for nights alone on the sofa with wine and a movie. Simply I wish they happen more often because I want to make this stack of deliciousness

• Reply Sarah | The Sugar Hit December 16, 2013 at 1:54 am

Man, I am the same, I find myself scrolling through social media constantly. If anything could force me to concentrate it would probably be a Brussels grilled cheese though. And hella cocktails.

• 1 2