Charred Tomatillo Guacamole

Appetizers

I really like weighing things. This is a weird Adrianna thing. I weigh everything I’m cooking, and sure I love precision, but it’s mostly because I just like weighing stuff. It’s the same part of me that loves the self-checkout at the supermarket. I dunno. It’s unexplainable. Maybe you’re this way too…or not.

So, yesterday I started the day how I usually do and stepped on the scale. And like I said before, not necessarily because I’m weight obsessive, but more because I like weighing things…which I guess also includes myself?

And since it was the start of the day, I was without contact lenses on and I wasn’t wearing my glasses. Also, I’m blind as a bat without glasses. AND, are bats really blind?! Whatever.

So, there I was on the scale, looking down, squinting trying to see what the number would say back to me when “FATT” appeared before my eyes. Yes, my scale said “FATT.” Two letter “T”s showed up.

So like any normal person would, I started to freak out a little because, well, my scale called me fat.

I bent down and looked closer and realized it actually read “BATT,” which basically meant that the thing was out of batteries and needed more batteries, but since I’m super blind I read it as “FATT.”

Phew! Since I realized that scale wasn’t calling me fat, I decide to celebrate and made some guacamole. Good reason, right?

This isn’t normal guacamole. Instead I took advantage of the in-season tomatillos.

Tomatillos have husks like corn, but aren’t like corn at all. Obviously.

This recipe is a guacamole recipe so for me to say it is easy and not very time consuming would be trite, but I’m going to say it anyway: This recipe is super easy.

It all begins with charring cute little tomatillos under the broiler.

Even for people that cook a lot, broilers are scary. They’re usually located at the very bottom of your oven. It’s like this secret compartment that is dark, dungeness-like and hot. But they’re also a place where magical things can happen. Like charring little green tomatoes to perfection. So fear not, and instead just make sure you’re close by and go to town.

After the tomatatillos are charred, they’re minced up, which will result in basically an incredible flavorful and tangy mush. That’s mixed in with the usual players in guacamole: red onion, jalapapeño, garlic, lime juice and avocado.

For this recipe, I figured it’d be nice to make my own chips by frying up some corn tortillas myself. I know the entire world is usually against frying stuff, because it’s usually messy and annoying, but I only did it in about an inch of oil and it ended up being worth it, so I do highly recommend.

This guacamole, unlike most of its kind, is actually okay being made hours before–it won’t turn scary shades of brown due to oxidation. There’s enough acid in it–from the tomatoes and lime juice–to make it stay a pretty green color for hours in the fridge.

Perfect for a weekend snack. Or those football parties people are having. Or for just simply eating in celebration that your scale is just broken and not a mean, cruel person.

Charred Tomatillo Guacamole

Chips:
Vegetable Oil
10 corn tortillas, sliced into triangles
Sea salt

Guacamole:
8 ounces of tomatillos (about 6), husked and rinsed
1/4 small red onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
Sea salt
Juice from 1/2 lime
2 Haas avocados, pitted and halved

1. First we’re going to fry the chips. Add about 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to a cast iron skillet (or any deep- set pan or pot of your choice). When the oil is hot (or reads 350 degrees F on a thermometer), gently add the tortillas, being sure not to overcrowd the skillet. Fry them for about 1-2 minutes, flipping them at the 1 minute mark. Drain the chips on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Repeat the fry process until you’ve gone through all of the tortillas.

2. Preheat your broiler. Place the tomatillos on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking pan, and transfer them under the broiler until the tops are charred, 7 to 10 minutes. Flip the tomatillos over with tongs and broil until charred on the opposite side, about 2-3 minutes more. Remove and allow them to cool slightly. Transfer them to a cutting board, and removing the stem membrane, chop the tomatoes finely. The tomatatillos will be more like a mush–that’s okay! Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the onion, garlic, peppers, lime juice and avocado. Mash the avocado using a fork and incorporate the other ingredients in the bowl. Fold in the mashed tomatillo. This is a good time to salt to taste. I ended up adding a little more than a 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Serve immediately or wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

Recipe adapted from Gourmet

• Reply Stacey September 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

Too funny! Also, it’s fun to read about Weird Adrianna Things. More, please!

This guacamole looks and sounds incredible. I hereby declare it shall be my dinner.

• Reply Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking September 13, 2012 at 10:32 am

Hahahah! Great scale story! I love using the broiler, but have almost burnt my house down um maybe once. I never thought to toss some tomatillos into my guac! Love it!

• Reply Jen @ Savory Simple September 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

I like weighing things, too. I think it’s the precision of baking that keeps me coming back. And with as much baking as I’ve been doing lately my scale might call me FATT at some point soon 😉 Love this.

• Reply Eileen September 13, 2012 at 9:50 am

You know, I’m the total opposite–to the point where we don’t have either a kitchen OR a person scale! Anyway. Guacamole! I love the idea of adding charred tomatillo–why have I never tried this before?

• Reply Katie @ Blonde Ambition September 13, 2012 at 9:36 am

I’ve made charred tomatillo salsa before, and I’ve tried putting charred bell peppers into guacamole before….but I’ve never thought of this combo! Sounds deeelish.

• Reply Hannah-lyz September 13, 2012 at 9:05 am

Haha, ooh your scale story made me giggle! I used to be obsessive about weighing myself, so now I don’t own a scale anymore! Much rather not think about it! (and no risk of being called names!) I’ve never seen tomatillos in this country ( UK ) , I’m so curious to try them though! They sounds awesome

• Reply Melissa | Being a Bear September 13, 2012 at 8:55 am

Adoring your scale story. Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. 🙂 I’m gearing my way up to trying new things in the kitchen, and tomatillos are definitely on the list. This sounds like an excellent place to start.

• Reply Margherita September 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

I love guacamole in every possible form, and I think this recipe looks unbelievable, can’t wait to try it!

• Reply christin September 13, 2012 at 7:45 am

This is why I do not own a scale. At all. I’m terrified of them calling me fat. But I am not terrified of this delicious guac that I will be making.

• Reply Emily @ She Makes and Bakes September 13, 2012 at 7:20 am

Hahahahahaha. I think I would have a heart attack if my scale called me fatt! So funny.

• Reply Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 13, 2012 at 7:20 am

That scale story is too funny! I think I’d freak out, too, if I mistakingly thought my scale called me fat! lol

This guacamole looks amazing!

• Reply Allyn September 13, 2012 at 6:49 am

Hahahahahahaha. That would be the meanest scale EVER.
    I’m obsessed with tomatillo salsa, and with guacamole, so… this was pretty much made for me.

• Reply Bev @ Bev Cooks September 13, 2012 at 6:26 am

HAhahahahahahahah! I’d totes celebrate too. And I’m wondering if a funnel into my head would work for this….

• Reply Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 13, 2012 at 6:07 am

So funny! Loved your story about the scale. That would scare me too, haha. Really like your idea of adding charred tomatillos to guacamole, yum.

Also–before I had a gas stove (which was the first time ever), I never realized the broiler was in the drawer. So I actually put several things in there for “storage” (although I thought at the time that it looked different)–since that is the usual storage spot for non-gas stoves. Luckily, my boyfriend stopped me before something really bad happened! 🙂

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 13, 2012 at 4:01 am

This looks lovely! What a fun way to switch up traditional guac 🙂

• 1 2