When I hear the word shandy, I imagine myself wearing large sunglasses and a mumu with a fat corgi on my lap while I play bridge or something.
Oh yeah and I live in Palm Beach. I’m with all of my older lady girlfriends and we all talk over each other (a la Goodfellas) while we sip on shandies.
I love different iterations on shandies. I made a grapefruit shandy last year and OMG did I love it. This year I wanted to go a less traditional route, but I’m feeling lazy and wanted it simple.
I’ve realized I adore beer cocktails. In summer I’m all about something refreshing, effervescent, light and really really simple to throw together.
The plums are pureed with a bit of sugar in a blender. I ran the mixture through a strainer, mainly to catch the skins. And then added it to a glass with some beer. DATS IT. Billy pointed out that the beer really works wonderfully with the beer. He said the plums actually have a bit of a beer-quality to it. I completely agree. Make it, try it and then drink it all.
Black Plum ShandiesPrint
- 5 black plums, halved (I used black but I see no reason why yellow, red or another variety wouldn’t work)
- 3 tablespoons pure cane sugar
- Beer of choice, I liked this with something super clean like a pilsner
- To a blender, add the plum halves and sugar. Blend until smooth-ish. If your plums aren't all that ripe, you may need to add a splash of water to get it started. Pour the puree through a strainer and discard the pulp.
- Divide the strained puree between glasses (I added about 3 to 4 tablespoons per glass). Top with beer.