Arroz Con Pollo

Dinner

I don’t have many pet peeves. I don’t have many qualms. Not many…but I do have one. Here it is: it really irks me when people pull–what I like to call–a “Giada.” Let me preface this by saying I like Giada, actually. I like her food. It’s simple and delicious. Her baby is cute, her hair is super pretty, her Malibu beach home is cute, I even think her dude Todd seems nice. But when she pronounces ricotta all, like, “rrrriiiicotta!!!” I kinda want to punch something. Like, why is it so hard to just pronounce ricotta like ricotta. We get you’re Italian. We know that. Thanks for the “rrrrricccottta” reminder, Giada. Thanks.

Why am I telling you this…? Because in this video on this page, I pulled a “Giada.” I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t. When it came time to say “arroz con pollo” I kinda tried to say it like an American girl and say, “aros con polo,” but my brain/tongue wouldn’t allow it, so there I am rolling the “r” while secretly hating myself. If any of you speak Spanish, you can actually hear me kinda half it. I’m trying to meet half way with it, trying to say it like I should be, but I fail. So, if you decide that I now annoy you and you don’t like me, I’ll understand. I will. Just come back tomorrow–there will be no video, no talking, just words and some more food.

In unrelated Giada news, I do love this recipe–it might actually be my favorite recipe on this entire blog. In the intro you’ll hear me explain how it was a recipe tinkered with by my grandfather and dad for a few years. I remember them cooking in the kitchen together. Their dichotomy was interesting, to say the least. My dad is probably one of the most positive, upbeat people I know (think of me, post coffee!!), while my grandfather was sort of a salty, half-glass empty kind of man. The way their two personalities worked in the kitchen resulted in hilarity…and one really awesome recipe for arroz con pollo.

(Recipe after the jump!)

Arroz Con Pollo

2 tablespoon olive oil
4 chicken thighs (skin on)
2 drumsticks (skin on)
1 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Roma Tomatoes, peeled and minced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon saffron
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt
1 3/4 cup (14 ounce bag) of Valencia rice
4 cups chicken stock

1. In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken, skin side down, until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken, using tongs, and cook on opposite side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate and set aside.

2. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add garlic to the top of the onions and cook until fragrant; 2 minutes or so. Throw in tomatoes and red bell pepper. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot removing any of the chicken fat pieces (hello! flavor!!). Next, add spices: cumin, tumeric, paprika, saffron, crushed red pepper, a teaspoon of salt and mix.

3. Dump in rice, being sure to coat with the tomato mixture. Place chicken atop of rice mixture, and pour just enough chicken stock to cover the rice, about 2 cups. Bring the pot to a simmer and then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for about 45 to 50 minutes, and until rice is tender. Note: Throughout the cooking process, I checked on it every 15-20 minutes or so and topped it off with about 1/4 cup of stock each time. In the end, I added 4 cups of chicken stock total. Also, in the last 15 minutes, I salted to taste, adding about 1 teaspoon more of salt.

Serves 4

• Reply Alexis May 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm

ugh – i feel the same way about giada and her high horse. the way she says “parmigiano reggiano” really gets me. unnaturally so. but i must say, i do the same with greek recipes!

this arroz con pollo looks delicious!

• Reply Elizabeth May 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

I made this last night and it was delicious. When I reheated the rice I added a little cheese too – mmmmm! Thanks for the recipe.

• Reply Adrianna May 7, 2012 at 11:52 am

YES! I would’ve never thought to add cheese. Good idea.

• Reply Edison April 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Looking around for “acp” recipes today, this one looks like one of the best, and the story behind it is great. One question— could the listed portions of saffron and paprika be reversed? That’s a lot of saffron! Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Adrianna April 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks so much! Yes, they are correct. πŸ™‚

• Reply yeni April 10, 2012 at 9:50 am

Our family adds a beer to the pot to cook with everything. It adds great flavor. We also add peas to the mix.
    Enjoyed the video, thanks!

• Reply Allison April 7, 2012 at 5:48 am

I have just been lapping up all of your great recipes and adding them to my to-do list. Your video is super cute and your version of Arroz Con Pollo looks great. I don’t think there is anything wrong with trying to pronounce foreign words correctly. In fact it bothers me more when people over-Americanise things! Giada maybe “blings” it up a bit too much, but hey… that’s Hollywood royalty for you!

• Reply Amanda March 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

this is my favourite recipe of yours too! I’ve made it so many times now. Being native spanish, and also having a stockpile of high quality saffron direct from a moroccan co-op, I’ve definitely made this recipe my own–but am now an avid fan of yours because I know the great stuff you can come up with!

• Reply Adrianna March 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This is so awesome.

• Reply April was in CT now CA March 23, 2012 at 4:25 pm

1. You are so brave to cook in a white shirt.
    2. You don’t sound like an unnatural doofus.
    3. This looks incredibly, incredibly tasty and I can’t wait to try it.

• Reply Nikkilooch March 23, 2012 at 3:05 am

I just linked to this post on my blog as one of my favorites from the week.

I know what you mean about Giada, I speak Italian and it makes me a little crazy when she’s speaking English and throws the Italian pronunciation in there, but I think you’re right. I’d probably do the same thing in her shoes.

• Reply Nadette@Eat, Read, Rant! March 22, 2012 at 9:49 am

You’re too cute. I’m in the process of learning spanish, so I find myself rrrolling my rrs in English. These things happen. I’m going to have to make this someday. I will resist the temptation to use arborrio rice. Or maybe I won’t and I’ll make risotto con pollo. only time will tell πŸ™‚

• Reply Shevon March 22, 2012 at 8:59 am

Okay, for the longest time whenever I said Giada, my husband would say, “Who?” I would answer with the pretty Italian girl with the cooking show. He would say, “Oh, the one with the big head?” We finally realized that it wasn’t her head that’s big, It’s that the rest of her is tiny.

I’ve made some of her recipes that were okay. I made one limoncello cheesecake that was a lot of work (the crust was made by grinding amarrrrrrretti cookies) and tasted terrible. The limoncello was overpowering and it just tasted like a booze pie.

• Reply Beth March 22, 2012 at 8:13 am

1. The same reason I don’t like Giada (also that you can TELL she doesn’t eat her own food… she is way too thin to be eating anything she makes)
    2. Spin. I started last June and am addicted. Good luck in class and losing your weight! I recommend buying a new gym outfit and putting some new music on your ipod

• Reply joelle (on a pink typewriter) March 22, 2012 at 7:33 am

YUM, I want this asap! So funny about Giada.. I love her but I also think it’s hilar how she wears low-cut shirts whenever she’s cooking.. she has an endless supply it seems. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Melissa@Julia's Bookbag March 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh you’re funny! I love Giada but please woman, stop it with the rolling “r” ricotta! I pinned this recipe with my very fastest Pinning finger πŸ™‚

• Reply Karista March 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Hahahaha!!!! This post was so funny I couldn’t stop laughing. I’ve always thought the very same thing when Giada pronounces some of the Italian ingredients. πŸ™‚ Excellent video, very clean, professional. Love it!

• Reply Reformed Foodie March 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Hahaha! Your Giada comment is so funny and spot on – as annoying as it is when people over pronounce foreign words, it’s really hard not to do the same when you speak the language:)

I read a really funny blog post about this same issue the other day (http://rand0mm.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/you-say-tomato-i-say-tomahto-indians-says-tamatar-2-2/)

This is a great recipe – and it’s Gluten/Dairy free which is perfect for me:)

• 1 2 3 4