Apricot Buttermilk Scones

Breakfast, Scones & Muffins

Do you ever feel guilty about complaining about your bad day? I always kind of do. I always feel guilty because I’m pretty sure there’s someone out there in the world that’s having an even worse day than me. I’m sure of it. Bad days happen. Just like bad hair days. Mine are usually exclusively related. If I wake up and my hair has a nice swing to it, I’m generally pumped and my positive vibing just roles right on through everything.

So, instead of telling you why yesterday was super lame (because that’d be lame), I’m going to show you my current late-night exercise, as of late, that I’ve started to take very seriously due to its therapeutic results. Enter: my “Cute Animals” board on Pinterest.

Lately, I’ll sit in bed with my laptop and search for cute animals photos. Because is there anything better than staring at a pic of two kangaroos slow-dancing? No. Is there anything more hilarious than seeing pigs fly? No. Is there anything more adorable than two French bulldogs cuddling? I mean…I challenge you to find it.

I urge you to start your own cute animals board. Seriously.

Are you jealous of my life yet? Well you should be because I have awesome scones in my kitchen that can soon be baked up in yours too, if you like.

After two recipe failures, I wanted something tried and true and good. I made a version of these scones. But then, I was kind of like, Meh, not bad but not great. So I made them again, tweaked a few ingredientses until I got them to point where they were like, Whoa, YES!

These are the scones I want to make in PJs on a Saturday morning.

I’ll admit that summer is tough for me cooking-wise. Everything I enjoy cooking/baking are things that are more fall and winter appropriate; hence the name of this blog, but these scones feel fresh and summer-like.

Fresh apricots are everywhere right now. Grab some, mix them in with flour and butter bits. It’s a good move.

These scones aren’t terribly sweet, as I think most scones shouldn’t be. The little apricot bites give them the perfect amount of sweetness. They’re tender with a slight tang. I like them.

And since they aren’t very sweet, I like to pair them with a little bit of softened salted butter and a drizzle of honey. So good!

Apricot Buttermilk Scones

2 apricots
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
5 tablespoons (or 2.5 ounces) unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken and cold
1 large egg

Egg wash:
1 large egg
Splash of whole milk or water

1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Gently place apricots in water and allow to simmer for 1 minute. While water is going, prepare an ice bath. Transfer the apricots from the boiling water to the cold water. When cool enough to handle, using a pairing knife, peel the skin off of the apricots. Cut them into a dice and set aside.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

3. Place flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.

4. Using a box grater, grate the cold butter into the flour mixture. Working quickly, and using your hands, mix the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. Gently stir in apricots, being sure to coat them in the flour mixture. Measure out the buttermilk in a measuring cup and add the egg; beat until combined. Pour in the buttermilk and mix until the dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.

5. Transfer dough and all dry, floury bits to a liberally floured countertop and knead dough by hand just until it comes together into a rough, slightly sticky ball, 5 to 10 seconds. Pat the scones flat to a 1-inch thickness. You can cut the scones into 8 wedges or you can use a biscuit cutter. I did the former and ended up with 8 triangular scones. Place the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Beat an egg with a tablespoon of milk together and brush the tops’ of the scones with the egg wash.

6. Transfer the baking sheet to the hot oven and bake until scones are light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm with butter and a drizzle of honey.

• Reply Ana Cooks August 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh yes!i’m in love with your blog, recipes, photography and instagram.
    Thanks for all this inspiration!

• Reply Adrianna August 6, 2012 at 11:19 am

YAY! Thank you!

• Reply shelly (cookies and cups) August 6, 2012 at 5:12 am

Lovin that you tweaked the ingredientses and came out with something Saturday morning worthy 🙂

• Reply lynn @ the actor's diet August 4, 2012 at 6:11 am

i think complaining about your life is wonderful. sometimes. it’s true there’s always people who have it worse (example – i’m currently in the hospital and my dad’s in the ICU) but i am still real about being annoyed with the little things – temperature, weird food, annoying people, etc. it’s reality, right?

• Reply Suzanne perazzini August 4, 2012 at 3:46 am

Adrianna, I have just nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award on my blog because A Cozy Kitchen is one of my favourites. If you wish to pick up the award, please come visit my blog.

• Reply Kim Bee August 3, 2012 at 2:01 pm

These look so good. I don’t make scones too often. Think I need to change that and try these beauties out.

• Reply Hannah @ Hannahsctkitchen August 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I love apricot scones but usually use dried ones. Definitely giving these a try! Have you tried clotted cream on scones? It’s very British and oh-so-yummy.

• Reply Adrianna August 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Oh yes I have. I love it!

• Reply val August 3, 2012 at 3:36 am

A perfect morning scone.

• Reply Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 2, 2012 at 10:05 pm

These sound delicious! I will have to try them, but make adjustments so that they are vegan 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Kristina August 2, 2012 at 8:19 pm

awww, I love the cute animals search – a nice ritual to end the day happy.

and these scones! yes please! in all my years of baking, I have never made a scone. perhaps I need to start with these…

• Reply Sophie @ happyspinach August 2, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Oh, my! These remind me of the scones I used to make. I would take my standby biscuit recipe, add a tablespoon or two of sugar, a splash of vanilla extract, fold in some dried chopped apricots, then top with a generous sprinkling of vanilla sugar. They were so good, but I honestly never thought about using fresh apricots (how silly of me)! I really need to give this recipe a go!

• Reply Suzanne Perazzini August 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I don’t make scones for some reason but yours look very interesting with the apricots and cheese. Great photos.

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Oh that’s not cheese–it’s grated cold butter. But I bet cheese would be awesome in these!

• Reply Leah August 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I freaking love scones! It’s winter in Australia, so I’m game for some serious baking these days. Might have to sub in some dried apricots instead though…
    Umm also, you cute animals board is AHmazing. I didn’t even need a pick-me-up and now I’m just giddy.

• Reply Kara August 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm

wow these look so yummy!

• Reply Jen @ Savory Simple August 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Cute animals on Pinterest??? Sign me up! These scones look SO good.

• Reply Kathy Steger August 2, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I always fail when I attempt to make scones. Your recipe looks simple. I am going to give it a shot. 🙂 wish me luck