Apricot Buttermilk Scones

Breakfast, Scones & Muffins

Do you ever feel guilty about complaining about your bad day? I always kind of do. I always feel guilty because I’m pretty sure there’s someone out there in the world that’s having an even worse day than me. I’m sure of it. Bad days happen. Just like bad hair days. Mine are usually exclusively related. If I wake up and my hair has a nice swing to it, I’m generally pumped and my positive vibing just roles right on through everything.

So, instead of telling you why yesterday was super lame (because that’d be lame), I’m going to show you my current late-night exercise, as of late, that I’ve started to take very seriously due to its therapeutic results. Enter: my “Cute Animals” board on Pinterest.

Lately, I’ll sit in bed with my laptop and search for cute animals photos. Because is there anything better than staring at a pic of two kangaroos slow-dancing? No. Is there anything more hilarious than seeing pigs fly? No. Is there anything more adorable than two French bulldogs cuddling? I mean…I challenge you to find it.

I urge you to start your own cute animals board. Seriously.

Are you jealous of my life yet? Well you should be because I have awesome scones in my kitchen that can soon be baked up in yours too, if you like.

After two recipe failures, I wanted something tried and true and good. I made a version of these scones. But then, I was kind of like, Meh, not bad but not great. So I made them again, tweaked a few ingredientses until I got them to point where they were like, Whoa, YES!

These are the scones I want to make in PJs on a Saturday morning.

I’ll admit that summer is tough for me cooking-wise. Everything I enjoy cooking/baking are things that are more fall and winter appropriate; hence the name of this blog, but these scones feel fresh and summer-like.

Fresh apricots are everywhere right now. Grab some, mix them in with flour and butter bits. It’s a good move.

These scones aren’t terribly sweet, as I think most scones shouldn’t be. The little apricot bites give them the perfect amount of sweetness. They’re tender with a slight tang. I like them.

And since they aren’t very sweet, I like to pair them with a little bit of softened salted butter and a drizzle of honey. So good!

Apricot Buttermilk Scones

2 apricots
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
5 tablespoons (or 2.5 ounces) unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken and cold
1 large egg

Egg wash:
1 large egg
Splash of whole milk or water

1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Gently place apricots in water and allow to simmer for 1 minute. While water is going, prepare an ice bath. Transfer the apricots from the boiling water to the cold water. When cool enough to handle, using a pairing knife, peel the skin off of the apricots. Cut them into a dice and set aside.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

3. Place flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.

4. Using a box grater, grate the cold butter into the flour mixture. Working quickly, and using your hands, mix the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. Gently stir in apricots, being sure to coat them in the flour mixture. Measure out the buttermilk in a measuring cup and add the egg; beat until combined. Pour in the buttermilk and mix until the dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.

5. Transfer dough and all dry, floury bits to a liberally floured countertop and knead dough by hand just until it comes together into a rough, slightly sticky ball, 5 to 10 seconds. Pat the scones flat to a 1-inch thickness. You can cut the scones into 8 wedges or you can use a biscuit cutter. I did the former and ended up with 8 triangular scones. Place the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Beat an egg with a tablespoon of milk together and brush the tops’ of the scones with the egg wash.

6. Transfer the baking sheet to the hot oven and bake until scones are light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm with butter and a drizzle of honey.

• Reply Channing August 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Yum! Any chance bing cherries would work here? I have a huge bag of cherries in the fridge and cherry + chocolate chunk scones sound yummers. I have all ingredients to make these, but no apricots at the moment.

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

WHOA! Yes, they should work with cherries. I’d cut the cherries in half since they might be a little too big for these scones. But you’ve inspired me to make something with cherries and chocolate. That needs to happen!

• Reply Patsy August 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

I ,ove scones…lI love peaches! Thanks for sharing these! Patsy

• Reply Megan August 2, 2012 at 11:45 am

The picture with the butter and honey has me crazy in love Beyonce-style with these scones.

• Reply Margherita August 2, 2012 at 11:36 am

One of the things I love most about your recipes is that you try to make them easy and understandable, even for cooking rookies like myself. Thanks to you I’m homing my skills in baking and cooking. Thanks for that!

• Reply Eileen August 2, 2012 at 10:33 am

Yay scones! And I see they are indeed triangular. 🙂 Love the apricots–I might add some slivered almonds too!

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 10:51 am

Hahaha! Yes, I still think triangular scones are a little 80s but I like ’em. 🙂

• Reply Jessica@AKitchenAddiction August 2, 2012 at 9:34 am

Oh yum. I’m thinking these need to be made this Saturday morning!

• Reply Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking August 2, 2012 at 9:26 am

I have a board dedicated to cute Pugs. You are so right about it’s therapeutic qualities. I still feel kind of crazy pinning stuff to it though. I totally want to make these over the weekend! Heading out to buy some apricots now!

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

I never feel crazy about pinning cute animals. Is that weird?

• Reply laura @ glutton for nourishment August 2, 2012 at 8:33 am

yum, these look amazing! and i love your cute animals board, i often repin from it 🙂

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

YAY!

• Reply Margarita August 2, 2012 at 8:18 am

Yes, I hate complaining about my bad days too like it’s the end of the world when some people have it worse, way worse. But man, it’s so good to whine though.

Apricots in scones is a lovely idea. I have not mastered adding fresh fruit in scones, somehow it always ends up a little too wet even after baking for a long time.

Did you shave your cold butter? Is that what is in the picture? That is awesome!

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 10:53 am

Whining is awesome. You just have to find one person to do it to–not the whole world. I think that’s the trick.

And yes! I shave the butter. It makes it easier to mix in with the flour.

• Reply Allyn August 2, 2012 at 6:27 am

We went to Scotland on our honeymoon (http://lollingabout.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/wasted-wednesday-whiskey/) and I ate as many scones as possible. Seriously. One of our hosts in particular woke up every morning to make a batch. Bring on the clotted cream. Oh clotted cream on fresh scones…
    Dang, now I’m going to have to make these.

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 10:53 am

Your trip look so lovely!

• Reply laurie August 2, 2012 at 6:25 am

If I tried this with mangos, would I parboil them the same way?

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Yes, but they may have to boil for longer. I imagine mangos with their tougher skin might need 3-4 minutes of boiling. I’d check the skin at the 2 minute mark to see. Mangos in scones sound sooooo good!

• Reply shirley August 2, 2012 at 6:25 am

that looks so. good.

• Reply Christin August 2, 2012 at 5:42 am

Omg. I need one of these right this minute. Totally going to get me some apricots and do this up!

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 2, 2012 at 2:58 am

Such a great scone! I love apricots, so any excuse to use them is great!