Aji Verde (Peruvian Green Sauce) is a hot sauce that I LOVE SO MUCH! If you’ve ever gone to a place that serves pollo a la brasa, it will look familiar to you. It’s usually kept in squeeze bottles on every table. You dip your yucca fries it, you douse the chicken with it…and then you start sweating because it’s SO spicy. And yet, you can’t stop eating it.
It’s addicting! This sauce is SO good. It does require two ingredients that used to be harder to find. But now, thanks to ol’ Amazon, it’s much easier.
What is Huacatay?
You’ll need the paste is amazing. It adds a brightness and hint of flavor that is needed. BUT you can skip it.
In Peru, most aji verde is made from JUST fresh huacatay. But here in the United States we have to make adjustments due to what we have access to. I find that using cilantro AND the paste makes for a really delicious aji verde.
Also, aji amarillo paste. It’s a Peruvian yellow pepper that is so delicious and spicy.
I prefer to use serrano peppers in this recipe vs. jalapeños because it really adds the heat that’s needed. If you’re adverse to spice, well, this recipe isn’t for you. I was going to make a milder version but I would be doing it a disservice.
Peruvians love spicy food, me included.
The queso fresco/blanco adds a nice creaminess to this sauce and a thickness that sits on yucca fries just perfectly.
I’ve wanted to successfully make this recipe for a long time and I have finally found the perfect ratios that make me happy.
Aji Verde - Peruvian Green Hot SaucePrint
- 1 whole lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup good-quality mayonnaise, (such as Hellmann's)
- 3 ounces queso fresco or blanco
- 2 serrano peppers, ends trimmed
- 1 bunch cilantro, with the leaves removed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons huacatay paste
- 1 tablespoon aji amarillo
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- To a blender, add the lime juice, olive oil, cheese, mayonnaise, serrano peppers, cilantro leaves, garlic cloves, green onions, huacatay paste, aji amarillo and salt. Blend for about 1 to 2 minutes, until very smooth.
- Give it a taste and adjust the salt according to your liking. Keeps in the fridge for up to a week.