Today I teamed up with Frito-Lay to bring you one of those recipes I’ve always dreamed of making for the blog. I just needed a bit of a nudge…and by nudge I mean tasty FRITOS® corn chips in my possession. FRITOS CHILI PIE® is usually served in the bag. It’s one of those super fun recipes that makes you feel like you’re on a ranch. In my dream world that’d mean I’m on Hey Dude (do you remember that show on Nickelodeon, like, years ago?). It always made me want to go to Texas and live on a ranch but let’s be honest I’m not sure ranch work is my kinda thing. Eating chili and cheese on top of FRITOS corn chips in a bag is more my groove!
Over the next few days I’ll be taking over Frito-Lay’s Instagram account, sharing some of my favorite July 4th moments and snack combos. (Think sweet tea and grilled hot dogs!)
Frito-Lay is also giving readers and fans alike the chance to share their snacking moments in the Fun-Up for Summer Sweepstakes. To enter on Instagram or Twitter, upload a photo of your summer snacking moment with #FritoLoveEntry for a chance to win fun prizes. Full rules here.
- 1/2 white onion, diced and divided
- 1 pound ground beef (85% lean/15%fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 4 bags of Fritos-Lay
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- In a medium saucepan, set over medium heat, pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, drop in half of the onions and cook until they're translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef, salt, garlic clove and mix until the meat has browned, about 5 minutes. If you're using leaner ground beef than what's noted above, you may need to add a teaspoon or two of olive oil so it doesn't stick to the pan.
- Add the tomato paste, beef broth, cumin and cayenne. Mix and cook for an additional minute or so. Turn the heat to low and cover the pot to keep warm while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- To assemble the Frito-Pie, scoop about a 1/2 cup of chili into the bag. Top with a handful of cheese and a sprinkling of white onion. Repeat with the remaining chili and bags of corn chips. Serve immediately.
(This post is sponsored by Frito-Lay. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep A Cozy Kitchen cozy.)